Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday, March 12

Welcome Back!



Okay, we start off with a quick shot of Cassidy at dinner last night (Sunday). Dinnertime is usually when the tiredness of the day catches up with our littlest tourist - until then, she can run everyone off their feet!

Today was completely packed with adventure again...

We met up with our whole group (9 families) at 9:00 am in the hotel lobby, then we headed off on the bus to visit the Summer Palace. For all the children at Osprey Woods Public School, the Summer Palace was the summer vacation residence of the Emperor's family - it was destroyed and rebuilt several times over the centuries but reached its most beautiful (and how it remains today) when restored and rebuilt by the Empress Ci Xi (that's right, girls, the Empress, not the Emperor!) Today it takes less than an hour to travel from the Forbidden City to the Summer Palace by car or bus, but in the time of the Emperor the trip would have taken 2 weeks by boat.



Bryanna and a number of the children stopped to practice calligraphy with a gentleman who was decorating the sidewalk with graceful strokes of his water brush.



And we managed to capture nearly all of the kids staying still in the same spot at the same time!


We walked through the beautiful grounds and in the centre of the park, we climbed all the steps to the top of Longevity Hill to reach the temple there. A LOT of steps, but even Cassidy made it all the way on her own!



After we left the Summer Palace, we went to a Pearl factory where we were given a fascinating lesson on how pearls are made. They even opened a large oyster in front of the children to show them the freshwater pearls inside (about 20 of them). This picture is of Cassidy watching, fascinated, as our guide did this.


Then on to a beautiful restaurant back in the city for lunch. The CB Homeland families who had this on their itinerary a week ago sent word to our guide that the restaurant beside the factory was not a good one, so Ma Rui booked us in an authentic and elaborately decorated place not far from the Olympic park and new, space-age stadium.

Finally, it was on to the Beijing Zoo to see the giant pandas. The children all enjoyed this visit...especially the opportunity to add panda souvenirs to their collections.

The day ended back at our hotel, where Ma Rui arranged for a tailor to come and fit anyone who wished with a silk outfit. I believe that nearly all the girls have chosen beautiful jackets or dresses, and quite a few of the moms as well. Choosing from all the gorgeous material was half the fun! Not to mention a certain gentleman (no names, right Michael?) who ordered a gorgeous cashmere pin-stripe suit. There was some negotiating involved for Bryanna and I to come to an agreement on which dress fabric would be a good choice for her!


The "back of the bus" phenomenon of the homeland travel groups kicked in today, and all the children talked and laughed and told jokes back there while their parents and grand-parents caught our breath and relaxed at the front. Funny, can you imagine who wanted to be right in the center of all the fun back there?


Tomorrow is our visit to a grade 1-5 school. We will be taking part in daily physical activity with the students, sitting in on their classes and helping them learn english and taking part in a "show". We think our group may be singing O Canada in French and English for the students. We'll update you tomorrow night on everything that happens.

Thanks again for all the comments from our friends and family - we love reading them all!

8 comments:

Shauna and MacLean said...

hello friends, we anxiously awaited the pics and MacLean wondered where the panda pics were????? I said that maybe Lianne would post them later. MacLean wondered if the dress people would come on our tour and I of course said I am sure they will. what did you all have made??? MacLean says hello to the girls as we just got back from the mall here in Boston. Weather is gorgeous in the 60's MacLean is in short sleeves. YEAH hopefully winter is over. Keep posting we love the updates. take care, love to all shauna and MacLean xoxox

Jane O. said...

Sounds like Cassidy is fitting right in there with all the older kids! When I told Stephanie that you ate at McD's the other day, she responded "What??? In China? Are you sure? That's crazy, they don't have McDonald's in China mommy! They have Chinese food!!" I showed her the pic so she could see for herself:-)
I can't wait to see what all of you had made there, especially Bryanna's choice - I'm so jealous!!

We're checking diligently everyday, and sometimes more than once.
Have fun, Jane

Shauna and MacLean said...

Jane you and I live a sad and pathetic life as I check almost every hour. I am so addicted to Blogs! hope you are well, this has been a fun journey. I am hoping to do a blog as well for my trip in the summer so I will be sure to pass it on.

Take care, Shauna

Anonymous said...

Holy toledo...I'm exhausted just reading about your day!! Sounds awesome.

Take care,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I missed a day and now I'm tuckered out reading about your adventures! It seems the Homeland Tour keeps you busy and doing all that you can do in 24hours.
Seeing the blue sky of Beijing brought back big memories of China just over 7 years ago. Makes me wish our trip was that much sooner. Can't choose a favourite pic from the the last two days as they're all wonderful! Keep having a ton of fun and may the camera never have a bad battery!
Hugest of hugs,
Steph (who can't wait to pick the brains of the travelling moms), Rick (who is putting in the central vac), Brenna (who wants to know what has been the best part of the trip, from the girls of course ) & Garreth (who says to say hi to Ma Rui--"do you remember me?")

anne marie said...

where are the pandas --- we are waiting for them.

not so warm today but great for tubing -- Julia would like to tube down the great wall.

amd and julia

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had another day filled with fun and adventure! I spent some time with Julie, Leah, and Olivia today, and we were talking about how much fun we had following along on your travels!

Bryanna, the material you choose for your dress is absolutely beautiful! Cassidy, I am happy that you are doing such a good job keeping up with everyone! I miss you all!

Jan :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had another day filled with fun and adventure! I spent some time with Julie, Leah, and Olivia today, and we were talking about how much fun we had following along on your travels!

Bryanna, the material you choose for your dress is absolutely beautiful! Cassidy, I am happy that you are doing such a good job keeping up with everyone! I miss you all!

Jan :)