Monday, March 19, 2007

Monday March 19 - The Eighth Wonder of the World


Whew, another full day!

Wake-up call at 7:00 am and onto the bus at 9. Bryanna has the cold now, but it's not slowing her down much. We headed first to the Terra Cotta Pottery Factory where duplicates of the Terra Cotta Warriors are made and sold (in every possible size).



The children had a lot of fun "dressing" as a warrior, and even those who are usually rather shy for the camera, had big grins on their faces when it was their turn.



After viewing the various stages of the pottery making process, learning about the different styles of warriors and how to tell a general, from an officer, from a soldier, from a bowman (and purchasing our own warriors!), we again boarded the bus and headed to the site of the real Terra Cotta Warriors.

The warriors were ordered by the first Qin Emperor over 2000 years ago in preparation for his mausoleum. Experts estimate that there are approximately 8000 warriors and horses (once all have been excavated) and they are considered the 8th wonder of the world (adding to another in China - the Great Wall. The construction of the Wall was also the result of this same emperor). Another fascinating fact, and what many of us did not realize, is that the warriors (as displayed today) have all had to be carefully reassembled. When you see some of the areas that have been cleared of earth but the warriors are still lying upon the ground, you realize what a huge jigsaw puzzle it is!



It was very cold in the "pits", so we all found it very chilly to circle the enormous area (even though it is fully contained within a building). Even so, everyone really enjoyed our time here. 2000 years old, and here the warriors still stand "protecting" their emperor.

We ate lunch at the Terra Cotta Warrior museum and this was an experience in itself. The specialty of the restaurant is their noodles, which were made right in front of us. Amazing how the cooks make all sorts of noodles with only their hands - no tools or machines involved. These pictures show the men making spaghettini noodles to go in Cassidy's favourite soup (which she ate THREE bowls of today).
After lunch, we left the warriors and the large park where they are situated, and travelled back into "downtown" Xi'an. There we visited the Great Mosque of Xi'an, the largest mosque in the city and the only one open to the public. It was built in 742 A.D.

It was one of those unexpectedly beautiful places you often see in the movies and don't believe are real. You see, we parked the bus in a busy, modern parking area at the base of Xi'an's Drum Tower, walked through tiny, packed alleyways full of market stalls and vendors selling their wares and then we stepped through an archway into another world...


By the time we left the mosque, it was 5:15 and we were feeling a little weary. Back to the hotel for dinner, then a bunch of the kids went swimming, while some dads (and a grandfather) used the hot-tub before settling back in our rooms for the night.

Tomorrow our group really splits up, as some head home, and many of us head to various provinces to visit the areas where our daughters were born.

The Thompsons, Presleys and Christensens all head to Hefei, the capital of Anhui province, tomorrow afternoon and Ma Rui will be accompanying us there. Depending on our schedule, there may not be a post for the next couple of days though we'll check messages daily if possible!

To the Presley clan, your messages have all been passed along to Candice, Michael and kids and they love knowing you are following along with us. And a special hi to all my friends who are as obsessed with e-mail and blog journals as I am - I know you're out there!

Love to all of you - hope the snow is melting at home!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We LOVE the pictures of Bryanna and Cassidy in the "soldier costumes"! Especially with the more modern update of having a camera bag hanging at Cassidy's side. Sophie wants to tell Cassidy that she loves noodles too, and had Japanese noodles the other night at a restaurant.

Lots of folks in California are following along with your journey too - blog junkies just like me. So great to see the Presleys as well.

Spring is busting out here in CA (sorry eastern folks!), so the blossoms you're seeing in Xi'an look very similar to here right now - makes me want to be there with you even more.

Love you LOTS, and see you in a few short weeks!

Love Kim and Sophie

Anonymous said...

Lianne,

Wow, wow, wow!!! I read about your travels one day and think that the activities by the next couldn't possibly surpass and they do! It sounds like you had another amazing day visiting the Terracotta Warriors and that beautiful mosque. I truly feel like we are living this trip with all of you. You are packing so much in, and it sounds like the girls (and all the other kids) are keeping up with it all.

Take care of yourselves and we look forward to hearing about your travels to the province. And being that I am one of those blog-obsessed friends:-), I hope you don't leave us hanging for too long.

"Chat" with you soon,

Jane O.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the warrior photos with the girls -- seems to be a theme.

Another theme I've detected is Cassidy and her eating habits -- glad to hear she's doing so well.

Back to school today for us -- BLAH UGH -- YUCKY -- and the snow isn't helping at all. Looking forward to 15 degrees on Thursday.

the tour sounds so well organized --- hoping it is meeting all your organization expectations.

more later.

amd

so nice to be checking on the blog again.

Anonymous said...

Just following you, it seems I'm back to China. It's so interesting, can't wait to see more. Take care and enjoy!

Michael

Anonymous said...

oh, oh, oh, the day that I have been waiting for!!! And you've awed me with the photos and description of the warriors. Visiting Xian is top of my list of where to go and now I won't back down.
Bryanna and Cassidy, you look like true warriors. I love your swords.
All the best as you travel to Anhui.
Steph (who realized once at school this morn that I hadn't forwarded the link and to wait all day to read the Blog--yup, I'm one of those addicted friends)

Anonymous said...

Wow...back at school already!
I couldn't wait to read about your adventures today...I have even memorized the link so that I could catch up while at school. In fact, I used the blog to help me with my lessons today. My students are studying Ancient China, so I was able to use the projector to show them the pictures in your blog. It was fantatstic! Thanks for the help!
Love to you all,
Jan :)

Shauna and MacLean said...

ok another post from another blog obsessed friend. Wow the information about the warriors was wonderful. I read out the information and showed the kids in my class some of the pictures. We just finished studying China and they were very keen. Great to see and very cool information.

Thanks again and we can't wait to hear the next part of the journey. Thanks for sharing with us.

love to all, Shauna and MacLean xoxox

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryanna & Cassidy. You make great warriors! I'm looking forward to hearing
about your trip when I see you next. Enjoy your last week in China.

love

Unky Damian (Captain Crazy Hair)

Anonymous said...

Lianne,

Just a quick note for when you are in Shanghai. L&D just returned late Sunday night and did their last blog update from home. Apparently, the most cosmopolitan of cities had the most inaccessible internet. In other places (as you have found), they just plugged in their laptop in their room for minimal or no charge. The charge in Shanghai prevented them from doing that. I just thought I'd forewarn you of that. Other than that, they had a wonderful trip and K&M can't wait to go back again!

Looking forward to your update later this morning. Hugs to all,

Jane (and the sleeping clan:-)

Anonymous said...

Bryanna, you are a perfect warrior princess! Lianne, I think you could have a second career as a tour guide. Your posts are such a marvelous travelogue for those of us back home who wish we could be there with you. And Cassidy, you are a real trooper for being so young and still able to keep up with the group!

Love to all,
Maryann, Leo & Táo Tao